Cheesy ham and pierogi casserole is an easy take on meat and potatoes that your entire family will love. Throw it together any night of the week for a hearty, comforting dinner.
One of the hardest things about cooking for my crew is figuring out what to feed my brood of boys that will keep them out of the pantry an hour later.
Because if it’s not a stick to your ribs kind of meal, they go right for all the snacks.
These easy, cheesy casserole does the trick in that department.
It keeps them satisfied and I can put it together with minimum prep so everyone including this busy mama is happy.
- Butter- Go for salted to keep things easy but if you only have unsalted on hand you can use that and add a pinch of salt.
- Onion– A large yellow onion peeled and diced.
- Cream of chicken soup– You could substitute another cream of soup if you prefer.
- Milk– Any kind but I always recommend a fuller fat milk for a thicker sauce.
- Garlic powder– A little goes a long way.
- Pierogi– This recipe calls for your favorite frozen variety but you could absolutely use homemade pierogis instead.
- Ham- Diced, cooked ham.
- Cheddar cheese– I use the pre-shredded variety but you can grate your own.
How to Make
This casserole is a snap to make!
To do it, spray a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
Then, heat a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions in butter until they’re softened and beginning to turn translucent.
When the onions have softened, remove the skillet from heat and set it aside.
Then, whisk the soup, milk, and garlic powder together in a bowl. Set it aside.
Now it’s time to assemble the casserole by spreading the frozen pierogi into even layer in the prepared dish.
Top the pierogi layer with the sautéed onions and diced ham.
Then, pour the soup mixture evenly out overtop, and spread the shredded cheese out to cover the dish.
Bake at 350° for an hour.
Remove the casserole from the oven, and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Store any in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a warm oven until the cheese is melted and the casserole is warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use leftover ham from a ham dinner or cut up a thick slice of country ham. Don’t have either of those available? Dice up some deli ham or breakfast ham.
- If you don’t like ham, substitute in an equal amount of bacon.
- Use at least 2 percent milk. For a richer cream sauce, substitute the milk with half and half.
Other Casseroles You’ll Love
This cheesy ham and pierogi casserole will satisfy a hungry crowd. Make it on your next busy day and enjoy!
Looking for other easy casseroles? Try these:
If you’ve tried this CHEESY HAM & PIEROGI CASSEROLE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers!
Cheesy Ham & Pierogi Casserole
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 large yellow onion peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup can sub cream of mushroom
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 28-30 frozen pierogi
- 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the butter & onions to a medium skillet set over medium heat. Sauté the onions, stirring occasionally, just until they're softened and beginning to turn translucent. Remove the skillet from heat & set aside.
- To a small mixing bowl add the soup, milk, and garlic powder. Whisk until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Add the frozen pierogi to the bottom of the prepared baking dish, spreading out into a roughly even layer.
- Spread the sautéed onions & diced ham evenly over top of the pierogi.
- Pour the soup mixture evenly out overtop, and then spread the shredded cheese out to cover the dish.
- Bake at 350° for an hour.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve as is, or with sour cream & chives for a garnish- if desired.
recipe adapted from Centsless Deals