Air fryer cheesy fiesta potatoes are a spot on copycat of the Taco Bell classic you can make right at home. With only a handful of ingredients and a quick prep, this is easier and less expensive than hitting the drive thru.
I love me some Taco Bell.
One of the most underrated dishes on the menu is definitely anything with potatoes.
The Spicy Potato Tacos, Cheesy Potato Grillers, and definitely the Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are all so good!
I was so sad when Taco Bell took them briefly off the menu.
So I came up with my own copycat version to make sure I can satisfy the cravings no matter what Taco Bell does.
What are Fiesta Potatoes?
Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are a side dish at Taco Bell. They feature crispy, seasoned pieces of potatoes, covered in nacho cheese and dolloped with smooth light sour cream.
My version is an at home doppleganger of this fast food favorite.
To make these you’ll need:
- Potatoes– Large Russet potatoes work best.
- Vegetable oil– You can use another light oil if you wish.
- Taco seasoning– An entire 1 ounce packet of your favorite kind.
- Sour cream– For authenticity, go with light sour cream.
- Nacho cheese– Rico’s is the closest brand taste wise to Taco Bell’s
- Scallions– These are optional for garnish.
How to Make
Start by washing and drying your potatoes before you cut them into 1 inch bite size pieces.
Toss the potatoes with oil in a large mixing bowl, making sure they are all coated.
Then, sprinkle in the taco seasoning and toss everything again.
Put the potatoes into your air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes shake the basket to toss the potatoes around.
Continue cooking the potatoes at 400 for another 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and crispy.
Then transfer the potatoes from the air fryer into 4 little bowls or ramekins.
Just before transferring your potatoes out of your air fryer, warm up your nacho cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warmed through.
Then top each potato bowl with the nacho cheese and evenly distribute the sour cream among the four bowls.
Add a few chopped green onions to the top of each bowl.
Serve and enjoy.
How to Make in the Oven
No air fryer? No problem.
Prep the potatoes as described above and instead of putting them in air fryer, put them on a baking sheet lined with foil.
Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through.
Serve and top as described above.
If you think you may have leftovers, I recommend saving the potatoes before you top them with nacho cheese or sour cream.
To store the potatoes, put the cooked, untopped potatoes in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat until warm in the air fryer and top with nacho cheese and sour cream before serving.
Other Topping Ideas
Want to really party these potatoes up? Get extra crazy with the toppings and add any or all of the following:
- cooked, seasoned ground beef
- pulled chicken or pork
- red onions
- black beans
Tips and Tricks
- No need to peel the potatoes if you don’t want to! It will make them extra crispy.
- You could make homemade nacho cheese if you prefer but it won’t be as close to the Taco Bell dish. Or, you could also use shredded cheese instead.
- For easy clean up, you can toss the potatoes with the oil and seasoning in a large ziploc bag.
Other Taco Bell Copycat Recipes
Air fryer copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are a spot on copy of the fast food classic. Make them and enjoy!
Looking for other Taco Bell copycat recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this AIR FRYER COPYCAT TACO BELL CHEESY FIESTA POTATOES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Air Fryer Copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 1 ounce envelope taco seasoning
- ½ cup lite sour cream
- 1 cup nacho cheese Rico’s is supposed to be the best dupe for Taco Bells
- 2 scallions chopped
- Wash your potatoes and dry them.
- Cut your potatoes into 1 inch bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the potatoes with the oil making sure they are all coated.
- Next sprinkle in the taco seasoning.
- Toss well until everything is coated.
- Place the potatoes into your air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes shake the basket to toss the potatoes around.
- Continue cooking the potatoes at 400 for another 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and crispy.
- Remove the potatoes and place into 4 little bowls or ramekins.
- Meanwhile warm up your nacho cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warmed through.
- Evenly top each potato bowl with the nacho cheese.
- Next evenly distribute the sour cream among the four bowls.
- Add a few chopped green onions to the top of each bowl.
You could make homemade nacho cheese if you prefer but it won't be as close to the Taco Bell dish. Or, you could also use shredded cheese instead.
For easy clean up, you can toss the potatoes with the oil and seasoning in a large ziploc bag.