Copycat Shamrock Shakes taste just like the McDonald’s classic- for a fraction of the price! This green minty milkshake is an easy, creamy treat you’ll love making at St. Patrick’s Day or anytime of year.
The bummer about Shamrock Shakes is McDonald’s only has them for like a month.
This is just not enough!
Pumpkin spice fans get their fix from the end of August til almost Thanksgiving each year.
I demand equal mint milkshake love.
But since that’s not super likely to happen, I came up with a copycat Shamrock Shake at home.
Just give a handful of easy to find ingredients a spin through the blender and you’ll be sipping on your favorite treat year round.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
A shamrock shake is McDonald’s green minty milkshake that they sell every year at the end of February and through mid March.
If you love mint and have never had one, you need to give it a try – or better yet, make my version!
To make this you’ll need:
- Ice cream– Make it easy and use vanilla so you don’t have to search for plain mint ice cream.
- Half and Half– Don’t sub milk for this. It gives you extra creamy goodness.
- Milk– Use full fat milk if possible.
- Mint extract– For the classic mint flavor without mint ice cream.
- Green food coloring– Optional as it doesn’t change the flavor but necessary to give you the green color.
- Garnish– Whipped cream, sprinkles. and maraschino cherries
How to Make
Making this is so easy!
Just add all the ingredients except for the extra toppings into a high speed blender and blend it until it’s smooth.
Then, pour it into two glasses and top each with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry.
Tips and Tricks
- Add more or less mint to the recipe to adjust it to suit your tastes.
- Turn it into a mint chip milkshake by adding chocolate chips or mint chip ice cream. If you do this, it will taste different than the McDonald’s version.
- Adjust the amount of ice cream or liquid to make a thicker or thinner shake.
- Using a good high speed blender will make a big difference and blend more consistently.
- This recipe is easy to double so you can make enough for everyone!
Other Easy St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
Copycat Shamrock Shakes are one of the easiest St. Patrick’s Day treats. Make this and enjoy!
Looking for other easy St. Patrick’s Day recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried these SHAMROCK SHAKES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
- 2 ½ cups ice cream
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring
- Whipped cream sprinkles, cherries for serving (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth
- Pour into glasses, top with whipped cream, cherries, and sprinkles if desired
Leave a Reply