Easy homemade Alfredo sauce gives you the classic garlicky, rich, cheese flavor of your favorite pasta sauce. One bite of this homemade fettucine Alfredo sauce and you’ll never go back to store bought again!
You know what I love about Italian food?
Most of the best of it is unbelievably simple.
Like this easy homemade Alfredo sauce.
You would never know that it’s so effortless to put together and made from every day ingredients that you likely have on hand.
The rich creamy result rivals any restaurant Alfredo sauce and you can make it right at home in under 15 minutes!
What is Alfredo sauce made of?
Classic Italian Alfredo sauce is made only of butter, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
Sometimes, you’ll see garlic added in.
The Americanized version of Alfredo sauce you are probably familiar with use butter and heavy cream along with garlic and cheese to create the heavenly pasta dish we all love.
To make this you’ll need:
- Butter– Use salted for this recipe. It provides just the right amount of saltiness for the dish.
- Garlic– Minced
- Cream cheese– Softened to room temperature
- Heavy cream– Don’t substitute for a lower fat dairy product! You need the richness from the cream to make the sauce.
- Seasoning– Garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese– Shredded
- Pasta– Fettucine to serve with the sauce
How to Make
Homemade Alfredo sauce is practically effortless to make!
To do it, melt both the butter and cream cheese in a large skillet set over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are evenly combined.
Stir in the minced garlic and let it cook for 60 seconds or just until it’s fragrant.
Then stir in the cream and seasonings to the skillet.
Let the mixture simmer over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese until it’s completely melted and the Alfredo sauce is smooth.
Gently toss the sauce with pasta until coated, and serve warm.
I highly recommend storing any leftover sauce separately from any noodles so plan ahead if you have leftovers!
If you do have leftover Alfredo sauce, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat on the stovetop over medium low heat.
You may need to add a little more cream to thin the sauce slightly when reheating it.
While you can use this to make easy homemade fettucine Alfredo, which is classic, you can also serve this on or with:
- grilled chicken
- cheese tortellini
- seafood ravioli
- penne pasta
- to dip breadsticks in
- as pizza sauce
Tips and Tricks
- Like a garlic alfredo sauce? You can add extra garlic for a more pronounced flavor.
- You can also use grated Parmesan cheese in this Alfredo recipe.
- Prefer a thicker sauce? Add more Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted and smooth. The amount of cheese you add determines the thickness of your sauce.
Other Homemade Sauce Recipes
Easy homemade Alfredo sauce is one of our go to’s when we want Italian food at home!
Make it and enjoy!
Looking for other easy homemade sauce recipes?
If you’ve tried this EASY HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3-4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb fettuccini pasta cooked to al dente, per the package instructions
- Add both the butter and cream cheese to a large skillet set over low heat. Let them melt, stirring occasionally, until melted and evenly combined.1/2 cup salted butter, 3-4 oz cream cheese
- Add the minced garlic, stirring to combine, and let the mixture cook for 60 seconds.1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Add the cream and seasonings to the skillet, again stirring to evenly combine them. Let the mixture simmer over medium low heat for 5 minutes.2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until it's completely melted and the alfredo sauce is smooth.1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Gently toss the sauce with pasta until coated, and serve warm.1 lb fettuccini pasta