Instant Pot jalapeno cheddar chicken is a cheesy saucy chicken dish that is so easy to make! Serve this zesty chicken over a bed of steamed rice for a complete dinner your family will love!
My family loves anything with chicken and cheese.
And I love anything that I can put together fast.
I love it even more if it has an easy clean up.
This Instant Pot jalapeno cheddar chicken makes us all happy!
It’s quick and easy to make and to clean up and my family can’t get enough of the creamy cheesy chicken with a hint of zest.
Dinner is done!
To make this you’ll need:
- Bacon– No need to pre cook it. You’ll saute it right in your Instant Pot and use all the delicious grease for flavor.
- Onion– Diced
- Jalapenos– Seeded and diced. If you want a bit more heat, you can add some of the seeds from the jalapenos.
- Chicken stock– Chicken broth also works.
- Chicken– Boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
- Condensed cheddar soup
- Cheddar cheese– Shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Add ons– Extra jalapenos, lime slices, chopped cilantro, and steamed rice
How to Make
Jalapeno cheddar chicken is so easy to make in the Instant Pot.
Start by placing the inner liner in the Pot and setting the pot to saute mod.
Add the bacon and cook it on saute mode until it is crisp.
Once the bacon is crispy, remove the bacon from the Pot, crumble it, and reserve the grease in the bottom of the Pot.
Cook the onion and pepper in the bacon grease in the Pot until softened, about 5 minutes.
Pour the broth into the Pot and deglaze the bottom of the pot by scraping up all the brown bits with a sturdy spoon.
Then, add the chicken into the Pot, and add the condensed soup on top of the chicken.
Do not stir!
Secure the lid on the Pot, making sure the vent valve is set to seal, and then pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
After the Pot beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes.
Then, carefully vent the remaining pressure and remove the chicken breasts to a bowl and shred into pieces.
Turn the Pot back on saute mode and simmer the cooking liquid until it slightly thickens.
Once the Iliquid thickens to your liking, turn off the Pot and stir in the cheese until it melt.
Stir in the chicken and bacon to the sauce and keep stirring until it is coated.
Serve over rice with fresh jalapenos, cilantro, and lime.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
Is jalapeno cheddar chicken spicy?
If you remove the seeds and white ribs from the peppers before cooking them, then I would say only slightly.
But if you want it very mild, you could always reduce the amount of jalapeno you use.
And if you want more heat, add some of those pepper seeds!
Tips and Tricks
- When you are waiting for your sauce to thicken, you can stir 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with some water to make a slurry. Stir the slurry into the sauce and it will thicken faster!
- Want to balance the zest a little more when you serve it? Add a dollop of sour cream.
- This is fabulous over rice but also is delicious as a taco or enchilada filling.
Other Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Instant Pot jalapeno cheddar chicken is a bold dish loaded with bacon, cheddar, and zesty jalapeno pieces that you’ll love.
Make it and enjoy!
Looking for other Instant Pot chicken recipes?
- Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Dill Pickle Chicken
- Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken
- Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Chicken
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT JALAPENO CHEDDAR CHICKEN, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Instant Pot Jalapeno Cheddar Chicken
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 3-4 medium jalapenos seeded and diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
- 1 10.5 oz can condensed cheddar soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra jalapeno, lime slices, chopped cilantro, and steamed white rice for serving
- Set pot to saute and add the bacon, cook until crisp then remove bacon, crumble, and reserve the grease in the bottom of the pan6 slices bacon
- Add the onion and pepper to the pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes1 onion, 3-4 medium jalapenos
- Add the broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot1 cup chicken stock
- Place the chicken into the pot, followed by the condensed soup on top, do not stir4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 10.5 oz can condensed cheddar soup
- Place the lid on, then pressure cook on high for 12 minutes, allow a 5 minute NPR
- Carefully vent the remaining pressure and remove the chicken breasts to a bowl and shred into pieces
- Simmer the cooking liquid until slightly thickened (you can use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch made into a slurry to speed the process)
- Turn off the pot, stir in the cheese until melted2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the chicken and pieces of bacon to the pot and stir to coat
- Serve over rice with fresh jalapenos, cilantro, and limesalt and pepper, extra jalapeno, lime slices, chopped cilantro, and steamed white rice