Melted snowman cookies are an adorable holiday treat. This fun way to decorate sugar cookies will be a hit with kids and kids at heart alike!
I love a good sugar cookie, but I am not a huge fan of decorating them.
Piping on icing, making intricate designs. No thanks.
With these melted snowman cookies there’s no need to worry about fussy decorations.
While they do use icing, being a little messy adds to the character and charm of these cute cookies.
To make these you’ll need a set of ingredients for the cookies and one for the icing.
For the cookies, you’ll need:
- Flour– All purpose.
- Vanilla extract– Use real vanilla for the best flavor.
- Baking powder– To give the cookies lift. Don’t substitute baking soda.
- Butter– Unsalted and warmed to room temperature.
- Egg yolk– No need for the whites for this. Save the white for the icing.
- Sugar– Granulated
- Salt– To balance the flavors.
- Decorations– Marshmallows, M&M’s, and chocolate.
For the royal icing you’ll need:
- Egg white– Use the one you set aside from the cookie batter.
- Lemon juice– Fresh or bottled.
- Powdered sugar– Don’t substitute to granulated sugar or the icing will be gritty.
How to Make the Cookies
Let’s break making this down into a few parts:
- Making the cookies
- Preparing the Icing
- Decorating the cookies
To make the cookies, start by preheat the oven to 350.
While the oven heats, beat the sugar and butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
When they are combined well, beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
Then, sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt into another bowl.
Once they are sifted together, add the dry ingredients to the mixture and continue to mix.
After the dough forms, remove it from the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
Let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
After the dough has chilled, take out the dough and roll out to 2 cm thick.
Cut circles into the rolled dough
Put the cookies onto a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes in the oven.
Let them cool.
Making the Icing
In a separate bowl, beat the egg white and powdered sugar together.
Then add the lemon juice for your desired consistency.
The icing is ready when it makes ribbons when dripped from a spoon.
Decorating the cookies
Spoon a dollop of icing into the middle of a cooled sugar cookie.
Before the icing sets, press a marshmallow in for the snowman’s body.
Melt chocolate and spoon it into a sandwich bag. Snip the tip off of the bag.
Pipe on twigs for arms, and a coal smile and eyes and use the melted chocolate to hold the M&M’s in place.
Let set and enjoy!
Store these cookie in a single layer in an air tight container on the counter. They will stay good for 3-4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Shortcut this whole recipe with store bought cookie dough.
- Mini M&M’s work very well for decoration.
- Get creative with your snowmen and have fun!
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
These melted snowman cookies are an adorable holiday treat. Make them at your next cookie decorating party and enjoy.
Looking for other Christmas cookie recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried these MELTED SNOWMAN COOKIES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Melted Snowman Sugar Cookies
For the Cookies:
- ¾ cup Flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cups Butter
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- 1 package M&M’s for decoration
- 1 package marshmallow
- ½ cup chocolate for decoration
For the Royal Icing:
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 & 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Making The Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C / 347 F
- Beat the sugar and butter in mixer.
- When they are combined well add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Continue to mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt into another bowl.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the mixture and continue to mix.
- When it becomes a dough take it out and put on a stretch film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After, take out the dough and roll out to 2 cm thick.
- Cut circles into the rolled dough
- Take them into baking tray and cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
Making The Icing
- For the royal icing, mix the egg white, and powdered sugar first.
- Then add the lemon juice for your desired consistency (It shouldn’t be too thick)
- Take out the cookies from the oven and rest for 10 minutes to cool down.
- After it cooled down, put the royal icing on top of each cookie and decorate with marshmallow, M&M’s and chocolate.