Walking chili dogs take the walking taco concept and update it with the flavors of the classic. Bags of Funyons get slathered with chopped up hot dogs, chili, and your favorite toppings for perfect on the go meals!
You know- taco toppings over Fritos or Doritos eaten right out of the bag.
Well these walking chili dogs are the same concept.
You take a bag of crunchy onion flavored rings and top them with chili dog style toppings while keeping the chips right in the bag.
The result is a portable bag of deliciousness any chili dog fan will love.
To make these you’ll need:
- Onion flavored rings– Like Funyons. The snack sized 3/4 ounce bags.
- Canned chili– A can with beans and a can without beans
- Velveeta cheese sauce
- Hot dogs– Your favorite variety
- Cheese– Shredded cheddar
How to Make
Walking chili dogs are simple to make!
Just chop the hot dogs into bite sized pieces and cook them in a skillet until your desired doneness.
Transfer the cooked hot dogs to a waiting plate, and drain the grease from the skillet.
Then, stir together both cans of chili and the cheese sauce in the skillet.
Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring often, just until it’s heated through.
While the chili cheese mixture’s heating, open the bags of chips at the top end of each package.
Lightly crush them with your hands.
Add a scoop of chili to each bag, top with some of the cooked hot dogs, and then some of the shredded cheese.
Garnish each bag as desired, and serve immediately.
Walking chili dogs are meant to be topped or garnished the same way you would garnish chili dogs.
Our favorites include:
- diced white onion
- pickle relish
- yellow mustard
- pickled jalapeno slices
- sour cream
Unfortunately these don’t store well, and are best made and enjoyed fresh.
Any leftovers should be stored unassembled and separately.
Tips and Tricks
- Be careful not to overly crush the chips- you don’t want to pulverize them!
- These are great for on the go meals, but we also enjoy serving them at parties especially birthday parties and end of the year sport awards. In this case, we serve them ‘bar’ style with all the different toppings set out ready to assembled in a line. The chili cheese mixture I keep on warm in a small crockpot so it doesn’t harden.
- Serve with disposable forks for minimum clean up.
Other Chili Dog Recipes
Walking chili dogs are a fun variation on the classic!
Make it and enjoy!
Looking for other chili dog recipes?
If you’ve tried these WALKING CHILI DOGS or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Walking Chili Dogs
- 6-8 3/4 oz bags onion flavored rings aka Funyons
- 1 15 oz can chili (no beans)
- 1 15 oz can chili (with beans)
- 1 4 oz pkg Velveeta cheese sauce
- 1 16 oz pkg hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chop hot dogs into bite sized pieces. Add them to a skillet and lightly cook- just until your desired doneness. Transfer them to a waiting plate, and drain grease from the skillet.
- Add both cans of chili and the cheese sauce to the skillet. Stir them together to evenly combine. Heat over low heat, stirring often, just until the mixture's heated through.
- While the chili cheese mixture's heating, open the bags of chips at the top end of each package. Lightly crush them with your hands.
- Add a scoop of chili to each bag, top with some of the cooked hot dogs, and then some of the shredded cheese.
- Garnish each bag as desired, and serve immediately.