Slow cooker sour cream and onion chicken is an easy dump and go recipe with very tasty results! This crockpot chicken is perfect for fans of the popular chip flavor.
I love a good set it and forget it meal.
They are a lifesaver when things get really busy.
And with 4 kids, let’s be honest, things are always really busy.
So really my slow cooker and a good dump and go meal are my best friends always.
With this low prep, easy sour cream and onion chicken being as delicious as it is easy, you’ll understand why!
To make this you need:
- Chicken breasts– Boneless, skinless breasts trimmed of fat
- Cream of mushroom soup– You could sub cream of chicken, celery, or even cream of cheddar
- Sour cream and onion dip– Your favorite kind. You can substitute our homemade French onion dip, if preferred.
- Chicken broth
- Onion soup mix– The kind in a packet
- Cornstarch and water– For thickening
- Garnish– Thinly sliced green onions and crushed potato chips
How to Make
This sour cream and onion chicken is so easy!
To do it, lightly spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray before you add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the bowl.
Whisk the soup, dip, broth, and onion soup mix together in a mixing bowl until they are well combined.
Pour the sauce evenly out overtop of the chicken.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4.
After the chicken has cooked for 5 to 6 hours or 3 to 4 depending on your setting, whisk the cornstarch and water together with a fork in a small bowl.
Stir the slurry into the slow cooker when the meat has 30 minutes left to cook.
Plate the chicken, spoon extra sauce overtop, and garnish with both the potato chips and green onions.
Serve and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- This chicken is fantastic with either steamed white rice or mashed potatoes.
- If you’re worried your chicken isn’t cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It is done when the thickest part of the breast is 165 degrees.
- This chicken is meant to be served whole or in large pieces and not pulled or shredded.
Other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Slow cooker sour cream and onion chicken is an easy, flavor packed meal you’ll love!
Make it and enjoy!
Looking for other slow cooker chicken recipes?
If you’ve tried this SLOW COOKER SOUR CREAM AND ONION CHICKEN or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Slow Cooker Sour Cream & Onion Chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts roughly 2 lbs, trimmed of fat
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream & onion dip
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pkt onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (+ 2 tbsp water)
- thinly sliced green onions for garnish
- crushed potato chips for garnish
- Lightly spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray, then add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the bowl in an even layer.
- To a medium mixing bowl add the soup, dip, broth, and onion soup mix. Whisk them together until smooth & evenly combined.
- Pour the sauce evenly out overtop of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours, or HIGH for 3-4.
- Add the cornstarch and water to a small bowl. Using a fork, whisk them together until smooth. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker and gently stir in when the meat has 30 minutes left to cook.
- Plate the chicken, spoon extra sauce overtop, and garnish with both the potato chips & green onions.
- Serve & enjoy!