Chicken pot pie casserole is an easier version of the classic comforting dish thanks to a tube of flaky biscuits and some shortcuts with the sauce. It still has all that down home flavor you know and love, but it won’t take you all day to put it together!
Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite comfort meals as the weather gets colder.
There’s just something about the rich filling loaded with veggies and tender chicken pieces topped with buttery, flaky crust.
Oh my heavens.
I feel cozy just thinking about it!
But I don’t particularly love how long it takes to make chicken pot pie from scratch.
So instead when the hankering for the ultimate comfort food hits, I turn to this easy chicken pot pie casserole.
It packs all the same flavor but is so much easier to put together thanks to some choice shortcuts!
To make this, you’ll need:
- Chicken– Chopped rotisserie chicken
- Cream of soups– 1 can of cream of chicken and 1 of cream of celery. You have some leeway here and could use 2 of either or substitute a cream of mushroom for one or both.
- Veggies– Frozen mixed veggies and honey gold potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- Cream cheese– Softened
- Sour cream– Full fat is best for maximum richness
- Spices– Minced onion, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and ground pepper
- Refrigerated biscuits– Flaky style tubed biscuits.
- Butter– Melted
- Parmesan cheese– Use the cheap, shaker style grated Parmesan cheese- it won’t burn like fresh cheese will during the long bake time.
How to Make
To make this chicken pot pie casserole, stir together all the ingredients except the biscuits, melted butter, and Parmesan cheese.
Then transfer the filling to a 9×13″ baking dish you’ve sprayed with nonstick spray and spread it into an even layer.
Open the biscuits and seperate them before cutting each one into 6 equal pieces.
Top the pot pie mixture the biscuit piece.
Brush the melted butter onto the biscuits and then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
Bake the casserole at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown on top and cooked through.
At this point, take the dish out of the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat it in the microwave or in a hot oven until warmed through,.
What is the difference between chicken pot pie and chicken pot pie casserole?
Chicken pot pie rests in between pie crusts.
This chicken pot pie casserole on the other hand does not have a bottom crust and uses a layer of cut up biscuits as the topping.
The taste and ingredients otherwise are very similar.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to dice the potatoes. Larger pieces won’t cook through in just 30 minutes.
- Don’t skip letting the casserole rest before you cut it. That resting time allows the sauce to thicken so it doesn’t run everywhere.
- Double check to be sure you are using flaky style biscuits for the best results.
Other Easy Chicken Casseroles
Chicken pot pie casserole with biscuit topping is a comfort food winner!
Make it and enjoy!
Looking for other easy chicken casseroles?
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Easy Chicken In Wine Sauce Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Pie
- Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie
If you’ve tried this CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of celery soup
- 3-4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tbsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch seasoned salt & ground pepper
- 6 oz two bite honey gold potatoes diced
- 1 16.3 oz tube refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add all of the ingredients, EXCEPT the biscuits and garnishes, to a large mixing bowl. Stir together until evenly combined.2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken, 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup, 1 10.75 oz can cream of celery soup, 3-4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, 3 tbsp cream cheese, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/2 tbsp minced onion, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, pinch seasoned salt & ground pepper, 6 oz two bite honey gold potatoes
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with non stick spray. Transfer the filling to the dish, and spread out in an even layer.
- Open the biscuits, and separate them. Using kitchen shears, cut each biscuit into six equal pieces. Lay all of the biscuit pieces evenly out overtop of the pot pie mixture.1 16.3 oz tube refrigerated flaky biscuits
- Brush the melted butter over the biscuits, and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly out overtop.2 tbsp melted butter, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake the casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until the biscuits are cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Carefully remove the hot dish from the oven, and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm & enjoy!